Thursday 8 December 2011

The Finished Wig Cap



Good news!


I have FINISHED the wig cap. Yay!


Here's some pics of it just perched on the wig block:








I am really pleased and proud that I managed to get it done. I think some people doubted I would ever finish it! 

As you can see, I have added an extended nape. The reason I have done this is because a. I wanted to learn to do it and see how it turned out and b. because I have very low babyhair and wanted to see if this would cover it - a bit of a prototype/test. If it's uncomfy to wear, I won't add one to the next wig. 

So the next step is ventilation. I shall be using some dark hair - a #2 (I am guessing) that is wavyish. It is currently ventilated into another wig that I have never worn because it is too small and WAY too dense (it weighs about 325 grams, which is approximately 12.5 ounces!!). The hair is not the best quality, so it is perfect for this project. I won't be crying if it all goes wrong! Hopefully it turns out well...




3 comments:

  1. I know this is an older posting but I am hoping that you will be able to answer a question. I am in the process of trying to make my own wig and I stumbled across your blog. I am starting by just trying to buy a foundation or a pre-made base and sewing track hair to that. It is inexpensive for me that way and I want to give it a try. Any suggestions about where I can buy a nice wig cap with the ear tabs and such? I am having no luck online, all I find is the nylon caps you put on under your wig.
    Thanks so much and I look forward to learning more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sure. Try His and Her if you are in the US. They do a couple of options that would be suitable.

    The cheaper is this option #2 on this page:
    http://www.hisandher.com/Bases___Wig_Caps-list.aspx

    It would be okay if you are going to use dark coloured hair.

    If you want to use lighter hair (light brown through blonde) then try MHRW's offering: http://mhrw.com/products/525-mono-wig-caps.aspx

    The more expensive is option #1 on this page: http://www.hisandher.com/Handmade___Amber_Wig_Base-list.aspx

    One thing you might need to think about is how you are going to finish the top to look realistic. It depends on the hair style you are aiming for. You might want to sew wefts around the back and sides and then learn to ventilate the top section and it would look more realistic that way, as the hair looks like it is growing from your scalp on top - if you do want to do that, I suggest buying the second option from His and Her as this will be the most realistc and easiest to ventilate into. Most commercial wigs have either a hand-tied top or a if they do not, they hide that base material on top by using permatease at the base of the wefts to hide where they are sewn on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been so very helpful!
    I am playing with the idea of using a closure piece for the top and as you said sewing wefts onto the side and back. If I feel successful with my first wig I may try my hand at ventilating. It seems far past my skill level at the moment though.
    Thank you so much again!

    ReplyDelete